Discord is not natively supported by many consoles, including the PlayStation 5. However, you can still voice chat with your friends on the world’s most powerful console. There is only one problem: it is impossible to install the service.
However, if you still prefer to keep everything on one console and not rely on your mobile device, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll show you how to use Discord on your PS5 below.
In contrast to its predecessor, the PS5 does not have internet browsing capabilities. From the start, the PS4 included an internet browser. It does not, however, prevent users from accessing links on PS5.
With PlayStation Network and PlayStation Party Chat, PS5 users can send and receive messages from other players. Despite the PS5’s lack of a browser, these messages may include links to websites that can be opened.
Use Discord on the PS5 by Sending a Message
- You can message a friend by launching PlayStation Party on your console.
- As a message, send them www.discord.com.
- Click on the link and open it.
- Sign in to your Discord account once you reach the official website.
- Chat with your friends on a voice channel.
You can also type in text channels as usual, but voice chat is much better in games. We recommend getting a compatible headset, since you won’t be able to speak to others without one.
The trick below will work beautifully if you prefer better audio quality and don’t mind connecting your PC and PS5.
In the second method, the following objects are obtained:
- Headset with USB port
- Cables made of optical fiber
- A mix amplifier
The instructions are as follows:
- Open the PS5 Settings menu after connecting your PS5 to the MixAmp via optical cable.
- Click on Sound.
- Make sure Audio Output is selected.
- Choose Digital or Optical out from the list.
- Launch your Discord client on your PC or open a Discord tab in your browser.
- Discord’s settings can be found there.
- Select Voice & Video.
- Choose MixAmp from the Input Device dropdown menu.
- The Output Device should now be set to Default in the Voice & Video settings.
- Check the connections between your headset and the MixAmp.
- Your headset should be able to play both PS5 and PC audio.
MixAmps aren’t cheap, but they’re reliable and allow you to link two devices at once. As opposed to the first method, you don’t need to keep opening links just by selecting messages.
In the short term, both methods will work, but they may not be viable (or necessary) for long. PlayStation 5 doesn’t support Discord yet, but Sony is moving in that direction.
Connect Your PlayStation Network Account with Discord
The partnership was made possible by Sony Interactive Entertainment investing in Discord as part of the latter’s Series-H round. Here’s how to connect your PlayStation Network Account with Discord as of January 2022.
- Open Discord and go to User settings.
- Click on Connections now.
- The PlayStation icon will appear.
- Log in with your PlayStation credentials.
That’s all there is to it.
When Discord finally arrives on Sony’s consoles, it will be optimized for the best experience. Discord’s web version is made for PC users with a mouse and keyboard. Compared to the PS4, the PS5 controller is much slower and doesn’t replace the latter control scheme very well.
The Discord app will be much easier to navigate with an optimized version. Sony should release this feature as soon as possible.
Make sure Display on Profile and Display PlayStation Network as your status are selected in the Connections settings window if you want everyone to be able to see your game activity.
PlayStation Party Chat and Discord Comparison
Although PlayStation Party Chat isn’t as flexible as Discord, it still has its place for PS5 users. You can meet new friends and join video game parties right away. The service still allows players to make friends.
However, Discord outperforms PlayStation Party Chat in the following ways:
- It’s easier to use.
Discord is already available on PC and mobile devices, while Party Chat is only available for PlayStation consoles. Any platform can be used with the same profile.
- There are more features in it.
There are a number of features that Discord has over Party Chat, including media embedding. Party Chat still allows you to send images, but not GIFs or stickers.
- Users are increasing.
There are many more users on Discord than on Party Chat. Mainly because it’s free and available on more platforms.
- Cross-platform compatibility is provided.
Discord allows you to maintain communication with friends on PC even when you’re on PS5. There is no cross-platform support for PlayStation Party Chat.
Coming Soon to Your PS5
We would appreciate interim solutions to the Discord problem we described above. In spite of this, many users would benefit from an official integration of the social media platform. Using Discord, PS5 owners can stay in touch with their friends and even use voice chat without having to use another device.
What do you think of Discord for PS5? Should the PS5 have an internet browser? Comment below and let us know what you think.