Instagram is known for its ability to create connections between users. Through mutual friends, interests, or hashtags, people can easily find and connect with a large community. It only takes a few clicks.
Imagine you want to find new contacts on Instagram. To follow new and exciting profiles, read this article to learn how to link device contacts, connect to Facebook contacts, and search for people.
How to Find Contacts on Instagram using iOS/iPhone
If you want to connect with more people on Instagram, you can use your phone contacts and Facebook friends. Here’s how:
- Go to the “Instagram app.”
- The “Profile” page can be accessed by clicking on your profile icon.
- You can discover people by clicking on the “hamburger icon.”
- Choose either “Connect to Facebook” or “Connect Contacts”. By repeating all steps for the other choice later, you can do both.
- Once you select “Allow Access” in the popup window, your contacts will begin to sync.
To find more people, you can also use Search. By tapping on the magnifying glass icon at the top of the screen, you can search for people by their username, place, or tags. If you want to find someone new to follow, you can always scroll through various profiles under the “Search” box.
How to Find Contacts on Instagram using Android
If you have a new Instagram profile, haven’t used it in a while, or simply want to find more people to follow, you can use your Google Contacts list and Facebook Friends list. You don’t need to worry. To add them to your “Following” list, you must “Follow” them. The following instructions will show you how to add Facebook friends and Google contacts to Instagram on Android.
- Click your “profile icon” in the bottom-right section of the Android Instagram app to open your profile.
- Tap “See All” in the “Discover People” section.
- Go to the next step by tapping “Connect Contacts” at the top. Alternatively, you can choose “Connect to Facebook” and skip to “Step 6.”
- Tap “Allow Access” to allow contacts access.
- Connect Instagram to Google or Apple Contacts and browse “Top Suggestions,” which appears first, or go to “Most Mutual Connections.”
- Tap “Follow” or “Add to Instagram” when you find someone you want to add to your account
Tap “profile” first for verification, then “Follow” from there.
- To link more contacts to Instagram, return to “Top Suggestions” or “Most Mutual Connections,” then tap “See All.”
Your Google account’s Contact list may not add much to Instagram if you access a different Google account through the “Contacts” app or change your default account on Android. Check your contacts first to see what is stored under your current main account. You may not have most of your contacts in your primary Google account, or the main account in your Android device may not be your real account.
For Android 11, we had to tap the vertical ellipsis (vertical three dots), select “Select All,” and then add or merge contacts from another account.
Contacts Not Showing Up on Instagram
Depending on the available information, some contacts may not appear on Instagram. For example, an old phone number or a mailing address won’t provide any useful information. Contacts who have not registered for an Instagram account will also not appear.
Additionally, Instagram only provides recommendations based on your contacts and those with an active Instagram account with credentials from your contact details. Facebook information, such as phone numbers or email addresses, can also be used by Instagram to populate your search lists. Some of your contacts will appear in the list of contacts to follow, while others will not.
How to Find Instagram Contacts on Windows, Mac, or Chromebook
Here’s how you can find new contacts on Instagram when you open it on your computer:
- Click on the “compass icon” in the upper right corner.
- Type any profile name or personal name into the “Search box” at the top of the new page to find the profiles you want to follow.
How to Find Instagram Contacts by Phone Number
Using a phone number, you can find new people on Instagram:
- You can save someone’s phone number in your contacts list.
- On the phone where you saved the number, open “Instagram”.
- Visit the “Profile” page.
- Right after clicking the “hamburger icon” (three lines), you’ll see the menu tab.
- You can connect your account with your Facebook or phone contacts by tapping “Discover People.”.
- Allow Instagram access to your phone or Facebook contacts by choosing “Connect”. Profile suggestions are also available here.
People who didn’t use their mobile phone to register would probably not appear in your contacts list if they didn’t use their mobile phone to register. It’s best to use the “Search” option in this case.
Adding Contacts through Instagram Search
Additionally, you can add people directly to Instagram based on their usernames or real names.
- On Android/iOS, click the magnifying glass at the bottom, or type the name in the search bar at the top.
- Based on connections and other algorithms, results appear.
It is possible that the person has not associated/registered Instagram with the actual name or username you have synced on your device. Instagram can also be searched by tags or places, but that makes finding what you need more difficult.
The process of finding and adding your contacts on Instagram has never been easier. Instagram developers have ensured that it’s just a click away if you know where to look. As soon as you learn all the tricks, you’ll be able to add your family and friends to your Instagram account.
Finding New Instagram Contacts FAQs
As soon as you allow Instagram to upload your phone contacts, you should be able to see them in the app or on the website. Give it some time since contacts are synchronized periodically. You will need to disconnect and reconnect contact syncing if you are still unable to access any of them.
Click on your profile photo on Instagram. Using the hamburger icon (three-line icon), select “Settings.” Click “Account and Contacts Syncing.” From there, click “Disconnect.” This option will delete all your contacts.
Sometimes, syncing contacts may not go smoothly, and your contact list may remain empty. You can only fix this by disconnecting and reconnecting your contacts’ synchronization several times.