When making a phone call, you might want to conceal your phone number for various reasons. Perhaps you want to play a prank on your friends, call someone you haven’t talked to in a while, or simply don’t want them to know your number.
On both Android and Apple devices, you can easily make your phone number private. With detailed steps, this article will show you multiple ways to make your phone number private. Here are the instructions without further ado.
Table of Contents
Option 1: Make Your Phone Number Private on Any Phone
The first method shown here works on any phone, including Android, iOS/iPhone, and even landlines in the U.S. You’ll need to use a code to hide your phone number from the receiver’s display.
By using a code, you can make your number private:
- The destination phone number should be dialed after 67. Testing this with a friend is a good idea. Dial 67-222-333-4444 if their number is (202) 333-4444.
- See if your caller ID number appears on their device. Their screen should display “Unknown,” “N/A,” or “Private.”.
- You must add a “1” and the appropriate area code after “67.” For example, if their number is (222) 333-4444, you need to dial *67-1-222-333-4444.
Option 2: Make Your Phone Number Private using Your Phone
You can make your phone number private on most smartphones, depending on the model or operating system.
Make Phone Number Private on iPhone
You can hide your phone number on the iPhone using the built-in feature. Entering a code every time can be annoying, so why not make it permanent? What you need to do is:
- On your iPhone, go to “Settings”. Choose “Phone” from the drop-down menu.
- You can view your caller ID by selecting “Show My Caller ID.”
- Hide your Caller ID by moving the slider to the left.
By default, your phone number will be private after completing the above steps. Verizon users do not have this option, so keep that in mind. You can make your Verizon phone number private by scrolling down to Option 3.
Make Your Phone Number Private on Android
At least the latest models of most brands of Android devices allow you to hide your phone number. Depending on the model, Samsung phones have different menu options from standard Android phones, so they cannot be used for this process. On Android, you can make your number private by following these steps:
- On your Android phone, go to “Settings”.
- Your phone model may require you to choose “More Settings” or “Additional Settings.”
- Choose “Caller ID.”
- Slide the slider to turn “Hide Number” on.
To make your phone number public again, follow the same steps listed, then disable the “Hide Number” option. If the person you are calling does not pick up, you can also enter the *82 code to show your caller ID.
How to Make Your Phone Number Private on Samsung
Depending on the manufacturer, you can make your phone number private in different ways. This section includes steps for Samsung users.
- On your phone, open the Dialer app and tap on the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Select Supplementary Services from the menu.
- You can view your caller ID by tapping on Show your caller ID. Select Never from the dropdown menu.
You will no longer see your phone number when you make phone calls.
Option 3: Ask Your Cell Phone Carrier to Make Your Number Private
Your phone service provider can make your number private. There are a number of major service providers that offer this option, including Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. For more information, you can either call them or visit their official websites.
Most service providers will not charge you for making your number private. This feature can even be permanently enabled.
After you’ve enabled the feature, you can temporarily turn it off, for example, when you call your family. You can display your number by entering *82 before the number you are calling.
How to Make Your Phone Number Private on Verizon
Verizon users may not be able to use the device-specific methods above. Verizon has disabled the option to make your number private in the Settings of your phone. However, it is still possible.
Use the 82 key code before dialing the number if you wish to make your number private for one call only. Making your number private is the fastest and simplest method. You can also make all calls private by logging into your Verizon online account.
How to do it:
- Visit this page on your Verizon account. Ensure that you are logged into your Verizon account. To make a line private, click on it.
- Block services by clicking on it.
- Select Additional Services from the menu.
- Switch Caller ID Blocking to the right.
To enable the Caller ID, repeat these steps and toggle the switch again. To make a line private, you will need to toggle the switch for each line on your account.
Frequently Asked Questions
This section answers more questions about making your phone number private.
That’s right. Based on our tests in June of 2022, 67 can mask your phone number even if it’s stored in the recipient’s contacts. Your phone number is hidden before the other phone rings. Due to this, the recipient’s phone does not know who is calling, regardless of whether it is a contact or not.
Yes, absolutely! You can temporarily show your caller ID by entering the 82 code for one phone call. Similarly, you can reenable the “Show My Caller ID” feature and unhide your number by following the same steps.
Depending on your provider, you may be required to wait for a quick dial tone after you enter 82 before entering the area code (if necessary) and the phone number. It might get tiring after a while because you need to enter 82 before every single call to keep it private. Consequently, if most of your conversations are with friends and family, you may want to leave your caller ID visible and enter the 67 code when it needs to be hidden.
By using the 67 code, you can easily hide your landline number when you make a phone call. Also, you can ask your phone provider to keep your number private when you call others.
Your phone number can be unlisted by contacting your phone provider and requesting an unlisted number.
The caller ID of 900 numbers, 911 numbers, and toll-free numbers cannot be kept private. If the call recipient has an app installed on their phone, your caller ID can be revealed.
How have you managed to keep your phone number private? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments!