There is no doubt that Snapchat is a very transparent app. It offers many features that other apps don’t, such as notifications if someone screenshots or replays a snap in your chat. In addition, unlike other apps, Snapchat doesn’t clearly indicate whether someone is online (usually a green bubble next to a user’s profile).
Luckily, there are a few ways to determine whether someone is active on the app. We will discuss all the different ways to find out if a Snapchat user is active in this article.
How to Check to See if Someone Is Active on Snapchat
When you use Snap Maps, you can see where your friends are. You may not always be able to view your friends’ locations on the map, depending on their privacy settings.
Unless they are using Ghost Mode, which masks their location at all times, you should be able to determine when the individual last used Snapchat and where they were while online. It is also possible for users to prevent the app from accessing their location at all.
If Snap Maps is open, your location will be updated regularly until you disable location services or put it in Ghost Mode. Using this feature, you can find out where someone is and when they are online.
How to do it:
- You can find your friend on Snap Maps.
- Select their Bitmoji on the map.
- You’ll see a gray status bar under their name.
- You can see three different messages: “Seen Now,” “Seen XXm ago,” or “Last seen,” depending on when they signed off. It indicates that they are currently online in a particular location.
In case you’ve been chatting with someone, you’ll be able to detect when they open your chat. When they appear to do so, you will need to be watching the chat. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open Snapchat and swipe right to reach the conversation screen.
- You can open the person’s conversation by scrolling to it and tapping on it.
- The person’s Bitmoji avatar will appear in the lower-left corner of your chat window if they are online and have your conversation open. Once the person leaves the chat window, their avatar will disappear.
Snap score is determined by the number of snaps a user has sent. Both public and private snaps are covered. Snapchat score increases when someone sends a snap.
Scores update every few minutes, so check back after a while to see if anything has changed. How to do it:
- Snapchat’s “Friends” tab can be found there.
- Tap and hold the name of the contact you want to learn more about. If you hold down the name, a popup box will appear.
- At the bottom of the popup box, you’ll see a number. Here is their Snapchat score. Keep it in mind or write it down.
- You should check again in 10 to 15 minutes to see if the score has increased. A rising score indicates that the person is online.
Snapchat tells you how long ago someone read your snap or message. This parameter can be used to determine an online status. For 24 hours, the timestamp will be reliable. After a day, the photo will just display the date and time when it was last viewed. For this to work, the recipient must have seen the photo/message.
Here are the steps:
- SnapChat should be open.
- The conversations screen can be accessed by swiping right.
- Their chat room can be found here.
- You’ll notice an empty square or arrow under the recipient’s name if they’ve seen your message. The date it was viewed and “Opened” will appear next to it.
- It is possible that this individual is online if their timestamp is within the last few seconds or minutes.
Send a Snap
You can check if a contact is online by sending them a snap. Based on that, you can infer when they were last online. Here’s how it works:
- Get the Snapchat app for your mobile device and open it.
- Swipe to the right to access Snapchat’s “Friends” screen. You will see a list of all your recent contacts.
- You need to find the user you want to check.
- By swiping from left to right over a friend’s name, you can open the chatbox.
- The “Send” button allows you to send a message by entering it and then tapping it.
- Stay in the chat window for a while.
- See if your friend’s Bitmoji appears in the lower-left corner of the screen. Your message is currently being read by the recipient.
- A blue dot will appear when the other person uses Bitmoji, indicating that they are online. The blue dot or Bitmoji will not display if the other person is not online or has not yet read the message.
Check Their Story Posts
It’s a pretty self-explanatory method, and you may have already been using it. However, new Snapchat users may not be aware of this. When checking a user’s Story feed, you can see if they have made any new posts.
Using this feature, you can also see when they posted their snap. It is possible to make an informed guess based on this information as to when they were last online on Snapchat.
Know When Your Friends Are Online
Even though there is no direct indication that someone is online on Snapchat, these methods are pretty close. If the person is not currently using the app, any of these methods will give you a closer estimate of when they were last online. You won’t have to guess if someone is ghosting or ignoring you this way.