How do I add a device to find my iPhone? Find My iPhone is a free tool from Apple that allows you to remotely locate your lost or stolen iPhone. You can also use the app to erase all your data in case it falls into the wrong hands.
This service not only helps you find your iPhone but also your iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch, or AirPods.
Learn how to add a device to Find My iPhone and how to use it to locate a lost iPhone in this article.
Table of Contents
How to Add a Device to Find My iPhone
You need to activate this feature on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Without it, you won’t be able to use it when the unfortunate occurs. Follow these steps:
Add an iPhone to Find My iPhone
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Tap on your profile icon.
- Select Find My and switch the toggle on to activate it. It will turn green when it’s activated.
- Enable Send Last Location so the location of your device will be sent when the battery is low.
Add a Mac to Find My iPhone
- Click the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen.
- Select System Preferences from the dropdown list.
- Depending on your macOS version, choose iCloud or Apple ID.
- Find the Find My Mac option and click the checkbox next to it. (You may have to enter your administrator password.)
How to remove a device from Find My iPhone
- Enter iCloud.com into your favorite browser, then sign in with your Apple ID.
- Select Find iPhone among the options.
- Click All Devices at the top and choose the device you want to remove.
- To remove a device from Find My iPhone, click Remove from Account.
- You will be asked to confirm this removal and to authenticate yourself by entering your iCloud password.
Now that you know how to add a device to Find My iPhone, here’s how to use it to track the location of your iPhone if you lose it.
How to use Find My iPhone on the web
If you have a computer, you can use the web-based tool.
- Go to iCloud.com
- Log into your iCloud account
- Click on Find My iPhone
- If you have multiple Apple devices, click All Devices at the top of the window and select the device you’re looking for.
If Find My iPhone is able to locate your iPhone, it will appear as a green dot on the map. You’ll see your iPhone’s image, battery percentage, and a few other options in the upper-right corner.
Here are what they each do:
- Play sound: This option is for those who have misplaced their iPhones. You can hear an audible sound even when your phone is in “Silence Mode”.
- Lost Mode: It lets you lock your iPhone and enter an alternative number. That way a good samaritan can reach out to you.
- You can erase your iPhone in this manner to prevent anyone from gaining access to your personal information. You should do this if you think you’ll never be able to get your iPhone back.
How to use Find My iPhone on iPhone
Swipe down from the middle of your iPhone’s Home screen to bring up the search field. Tap Find My, and it will appear in the Applications section. Sometimes you’ll find it in Extras.
Log in to the app with your iCloud credentials. When you’re logged in, you’ll see all your Apple devices under the Devices tab. Choose the stolen/lost device from the list to view its location.
Although the UI is different, it works just as if you were using a web-based tool. Swipe up to see all the options, then select the one that makes the most sense to you. If you misplace your iPhone at home, you may press Play Sound to help you find it.
Find iPhone That Is Offline or Dead
It is possible that your iPhone will not appear on the map in some cases. It will say offline. This occurs when your iPhone is out of battery/turned off, without an internet connection, or has its location turned off.
You still have the three options mentioned above to choose from. When your iPhone is back online, the action you took will take effect.
It is important to turn on Send Last Location in the Find My iPhone settings, as mentioned above. Thus, you can see the last known location of your phone, even if it’s dead or turned off.
You can’t locate your lost iPhone if Find My iPhone wasn’t enabled before you lost it. If this happens, you must change your Apple ID password immediately to prevent anyone from accessing your iCloud data.
Additionally, if you used Apple Pay, you should delete all your credit/debit card information via iCloud on the web. Protect your personal information by reporting your missing iPhone to your wireless carrier and local law enforcement.